Google Says Android LG and Samsung Smartwatches Ready for Order (Video)
Google announced at its I/O developers conference on Wednesday that two watches running its Android Wear software development kit, the LG G and Samsung Gear Live, will be available for order later in the day.
Motorola’s Moto 360 will become available this summer, which we already knew.
It’s still unclear when the watches will actually ship. (Update: The Samsung and LG watches will ship to customers July 7, with Samsung selling for $199 and LG for $229.)
During an onstage presentation at Google I/O in San Francisco, Engineering Director David Singleton showed off an array of features baked into its wearables software kit, including the ability to control nearby devices via voice commands to the watch, such as scrolling through music and sending texts.
He also highlighted the ability to set notifications triggered by location and to rapidly sync apps between watches and other mobile devices.
Several developers have already built apps on top of the platform, enabling the ability to order pizzas in 20 seconds via Eat24, call up a car through Lyft, or swipe through recipes step by step and automatically set a cooking timer with Allthecooks.
“With glance-able notifications and quick voice actions, Android Wear gives you just what you need, right when you need it,” Singleton said.
Here’s a quick look at Samsung’s Galaxy Gear Live:
More Google I/O Coverage
- The Challenges Google Needs to Deal With at I/O
- At Google I/O, Spotlight Will Be on Spruced-Up Android, Virtual Reality
- Google Reins In Android Device Makers
- Meet Project Ara, the Modular Google Phone of the Future
- Google I/O, by the Numbers
- Google Courts Businesses With Android for Work Initiative
- Google Takes Baby Steps Back to Health
- Don’t Worry, Xbox and PlayStation — Gaming Is Just a Bonus on Android TV
- Google Buys Mobile App Testing Firm Appurify, Will Maintain Support for iOS
- Google Says Android LG and Samsung Smartwatches Ready for Order (Video)
- JackThreads Turns Google+ Hangouts Into Virtual Try-On Rooms
- Google Tackles the Living Room With Android TV
- Razer Developing Android TV-Based Microconsole, Due Out This Fall
- Protesters Disrupt Google I/O (Updated)
- Google Unveils Android L
- Google Launches “Android One” Effort Targeting Affordable Phones in Developing Markets
- What to Expect at Google I/O: Set-Tops, Watches, No Nexus Tablet
- Google Battles Apple For Your Connected Life
- Ahead of I/O, Google’s Nest Labs Opens the Door to Third-Party App Makers
- Ahead of I/O, Google Reveals More Details Around Android Wearables