Re/wind: FCC Under Fire, Bye-Bye Square Wallet and Inside Google’s Self-Driving Car
In case you missed anything, here’s a quick roundup of some of the news that powered Re/code this week:
- FCC chairman Tom Wheeler has been on the defensive, first denying he’s trying to divide the Internet into “haves” and “have nots,” and now taking flak for his latest set of proposed regulations of ISPs. But why is net neutrality such a hotly contested debate? Don’t miss this helpful video explaining it all from the Re/code team.
- Considering the plethora of streaming options for TV and music, it’s no surprise that cord cutters are gulping down bandwidth. Walt Mossberg reviewed the best devices for watching TV from the cloud, while Lauren explained the tips and tricks to follow to get the most out of your music streaming service.
- Have you ever caught a glimpse of a driverless Google car and wondered what it must be like to go for a ride? Wonder no more.
- Phone upgrade plans are designed to sound good, but sometimes it’s hard to know which are actually good and which will bleed you dry. Here’s a guide to navigating the contract upgrades offered by leading carriers.
- Elon Musk delivered a few jabs to rival companies, technologies and business models during an appearance at the World Energy Innovation Forum.
- We all follow at least a few incessantly noisy tweeters. Now, you can free up your timeline by muting people on Twitter.
- You Won’t Believe How One Viral Content Site Responded to Plummeting Page Views.
- Wolverine or T-1000, pick your geeky reference point: IBM researchers have developed a new class of materials that are stronger than bone and can repair themselves.
- So much for Square Wallet. The company has pulled the mobile payments app and is instead focusing its attention on a new order-ahead app.
- If you use your iPhone like the people in Apple commercials, you’ve probably run out of space. All those photos and apps take up room! But Katie Boehret’s guide to freeing up space might give you more room for that next selfie.